Apr 17, 2008

Here I am on my two month job swap in Portland, Oregon - W+K finally agreed to send me and I intend to cram it in while I'm here.

I'm staying in Michael F's place. It's a loft conversion of an old drugs warehouse. The day before I arrived Michael's new neighbour directly opposite was arrested by police for Meth distribution. I'm glad that was taken care of before I arrived... 

It's a beautiful place, like staying in a hotel penthouse suite, except no-one cleans up after me. It's roughly two and a half times the size of my apartment in Amsterdam, I'm thinking of getting a skateboard to get from one bathroom to another. The neighbourhood is full of coffee shops (the ones that sell coffee), galleries, up-market shops and restaurants. It's only three blocks from the Wieden Office.

Portland really is super friendly. I'm still getting used to being asked 'Hi, how are you today' by complete strangers, not being routinely ignored by shop assistants, and having supermarkets whose fresh produce section does not include punnets of furry strawberries.

My first day of work was Founders day, this year, community charity work followed by heavy drinking. For me that meant tree planting and clearance along the river banks of the Willamette River. It's the only day the sun has shined since my arrival.


Hello Vegas


Helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon? Check.

Worlds highest thrill ride? Check.

Shark Reef? Check.

Free alcohol in dodgy gambling establishments? Check.

Limousine ride in preposterous long car? Check.

No comments: